I’m so excited to be a part of Secret Pal 7 – how fun! So here’s my questionnaire (that’s a lot of text!)
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
I think I am a yarn snob, but sometimes if something is just the right color at the right time anything is OK. (Like this really funny yarn Baby Girl and I picked out at Michael’s one day.)
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I learned to crochet before I learned to knit, but now I haven’t crocheted in a year. I have never spun anything.
3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
They’re on my desk or in the bag with what I’m knitting. “Store” might be an overstatement.
4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I have been knitting for one year. I think I’m an advanced beginner. ( I just learned to knit small rounds last week. I was so excited! I had been fighting with DPN’s and then I watched this video on using two circulars – genius!)
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I do – at Amazon.
6. What’s your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I’m pretty fussy. I don’t like things overly scented. My mom did just get me a pear candle from L’Occitane for Channukah though and I love it.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Dark (dark, dark) chocolate
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I make books – www.cafecrafty.etsy.com. When in the mood I also sew, bead, embroider (I’m not saying well, I’m just capable.)
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I have an iPod Shuffle I listen to while snowboarding. I listen to a lot of – maybe it’s adult alternative – Barenaked Ladies, American Graffiti, Matchbox 20
10. What’s your favorite color? Or–do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can’t stand?
I love limey, pukey greens (see Oilily bag below) and of course light blue/brown and pink/brown and light blue/red. I’m not a huge fan of purple although when Baby Girl chose purples for the Jess Hutch robot I was pretty happy with the end result.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I’m married with one daughter and two cats.
12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I live in the mountains of Colorado so I wear all of the above for large chunks of the year.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I don’t know yet…
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I’m pretty over the eyelash and fake furry things (unless it’s used just right).
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Creatures of any sort
17. What are you knitting right now?
Squarey the pillow, Girlfriend Swing Coat from Wendy at Knit and Tonic and the bunny from Kate Gilbert.
18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I’m not that fussy.
21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
22. How did you learn to knit?
Through books and by a friend.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Knitting wise not bad – I started the Kate Gilbert bunny about three months ago and ran out of yarn about halfway and we live about 2 1/2 hours from the nearest Michael’s. (I keep saying – maybe we’ll get there next weekend.) The worst thing though is two blank baby books and a tub full of Baby Girl’s stuff for the day I start…She’ll be 3 in May.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I love Hello Kitty stuff and those characters – like Chococat.
25. What is your favorite holiday?
I like them all really – we like making cupcakes and getting candy for any holiday that gives us a chance.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
I buy lots of stuff for my hobbies – yarn, pretty papers, etc… Whenever we run across a ‘flatten penny’ machine I always get one.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
none (I subscribe to about ten magazines including Ready Made)
28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
A good beginning sock pattern, cool sock yarn, anything I can’t get here because I live so far from a city – we don’t really have a yarn store with an extensive collection to play with.
29. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
Sticking with a theme – maybe knitting socks on two circulars, and maybe spinning with one of those little hand things…
30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I have never knit a sock, but now through blogging since I’ve seen the sock yarn that Sweet Georgia is dyeing I’m ‘dying’ to learn (figuring out that circle thing the other night was a huge step in the right direction!)
31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)